Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Career Pages/Requirements

While I was online looking at restaurant websites, I decided that I was going to check out the sections about employment on their websites. On the California Tortilla website, there was a tab called "Fun Factor". This page had a list of many different reasons why California Tortilla is a fun place to go. However, one thing on the list stuck out to me the most. The second thing on the list said "We've got spunky cashiers!". This reminded me a lot of what we've been talking about in class because they are using the personalities of their employees to draw customers in to their store and to show that their cashiers and customer service is something that makes California Tortilla a fun place to go. The second restaurant I found was American Tap Room, a popular restaurant where I live. On their career page, they had a list of requirements that are shown in the picture below. The things that stood out to me the most were that it said you had to have a great personality and a can do attitude as well as two years of hospitality experience. The personality requirements made me think about our class because some of the articles we read in class talked about how businesses hire people based off of their personality. It was kind of surprising to me that they had to have two years of hospitality experience because I've never seen a requirement like that before. I actually thought that it was a good requirement because in service jobs I feel like a lot of employees do not know how to deal with their customers in the best way and the hospitality experience could help the employees have better job performance and financial success in the company. The last website I found was the Dunkin Donuts website. Their career page says they are looking for hardworking, friendly, team-oriented people, who would thrive in the fast-paced, fun-paced world of Dunkin' Donuts. I found it really interesting that they mentioned that the people they were looking for needed to be team-oriented because it is important to get along with your fellow employees. Also, they mentioned that it is a fast-paced service meaning that they need employees that can do well under pressure with long lines and complaining customers without being stressed out by using surface acting and deep acting. Another really interesting thing they mentioned is that they said they are committed to making the employee feel important and part of a team. I think that a lot of companies overlook this like in the Safeway case. In that specific case, the employee did not feel important and did not feel like a part of a team and I think that having both of those ensured is an important thing that management should ensure.

No comments:

Post a Comment