Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Routine Interactions vs. Customized interactions


After a couple days being back in Maryland, my family elected going to Ledo Pizza. (Pizzeria chain throughout MD and VA). When we go to Ledo's we normally ask if Hannah is around (Hannah has waited on us many times in the past and we know that at this particular Ledo's there are only a handful of waiters/waitresses that are genuinely friendly. This time around I made a note of this one particular employee that held more of the same routine with the people that she waited on. It was more of the blunt, emotionless "What can I get you?" Seeing the differences in the styles of how these two employees waited on their customers, reminded me of something I learned in Grandey and Diamond (2009). Deep acting is more likely to arise from customized interactions with the public and surface acting is more likely to arise from more routine encounters that require little to no motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment