Thursday, December 1, 2011

When I Notice

So, I guess I notice customer service workers more when they are doing a poor job than when they're doing a good job, and I've come to realize that this is part of what we've looked at in this class. Back at the very beginning, we discussed the effects that emotional labor has on the customer. I had given it some thought at the time, but recently it has hit me that I never notice when the job is being done right, or when the employee is friendly. However, I notice every time the job is done poorly or when the employee is rude to me.

For example, last night I went to eat at Hoss's, and when I walked in there was no one there to greet us, and in fact it looked like there was no one working in the restaurant at all. After a couple minutes of waiting, a man finally walks out of the back and up to the register to take our order. He didn't say a word, he just looked at us and expected us to just start ordering. We ordered and got to the table. From that point on we had great service, but at the time I didn't really even notice it or think about it.

This makes me wonder if people really like the service with a smile so much as service that they don't notice happening. Just a relevant thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment