Friday, December 2, 2011

Service with a Smile? Or Service with a Sexual Innuendo?

After reading about the Hooter’s and Safeway employee cases, I was talking to my friend about her job. She works at a liquor store as a cashier, and she told me that one day when she was ringing up a customer, he made inappropriate comments toward her (I don’t remember exactly what but it was something sexual or flirtatious). Automatically I thought of the previously mentioned articles, and I asked her if she smiled at him; since the claims of the Safeway employees were centered on the emotional labor demands causing sexual harassment, I wanted to see if there was a correlation in her case. Her response to my question was, “Well, yeah, of course I did. It’s part of my job”(or something along those lines). Not that this necessarily proves anything, I just thought it was interesting to see this type of correlation occur on a more personal level. But questions could be asked as to whether other factors such as her gender, or the type of store she works in had any influence on the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment