Friday, December 2, 2011

Take a break, or break things?

Over Thanksgiving Break I was talking with one of my friends from home and a story she told me got me thinking. She works as a cashier and stocker at a Bath and Body Works, and she mentioned something about employees PURPOSELY breaking candles. This was intriguing to me considering I was under the impression that breaking candles on the job was a bad thing. So when I asked for details, she told me that sometimes when employees get angry or frustrated (with customers or the job in general), they put a candle that has already been broken into a bag, and they smash it against something. Instantly I thought of the theory of letting employees take a break after customer incivility or job stress. According to my friend, this seemed to help the employees. Though impractical, maybe employers should allow their employees to take their aggression and frustration out on something tangible (as long as it isn’t the customer) instead of just allowing a recuperating break. After all, we’ve always been taught not to bottle things up right?

No comments:

Post a Comment